I know a lot of people say that 2016 was a horrible year, but I actually found a lot of things to love this year. Here’s a quick list of my favorite things from 2016.
- “Rogue One” – There was so much right about this movie, it was hard for me to find things that I didn’t like. It came across as a war movie that just happened to be a Star Wars movie. I think this was the right way to approach telling the story. Plus, the last scene with Darth Vader was perfect and terrifying.
- “The Shallows” – One of the last few movies that made me jump in my seat. Jaume Collet-Serra’s direction let’s the viewer feel trapped in just the right ways.
- NeuBible – I wrote how much I love the typography of this app. You can read more of my thoughts here.
- Google Photos – I think Apple web services is slowly catching up to Google’s, but Google Photos is still best in class.
- Castro – My favorite podcast player. I love Overcast, but the details on Castro are great. My favorite feature is the queue player to create on-demand playlists.
- Airmail – This app seems to do all the things that I wish Apple’s mail client would. I love the ability to send any email to another app with a swipe.
- “The Glass Cage” by Nicholas Carr – A sobering look at how automation of everyday tasks may be hurting society.
- “The Coaching Habit” by Michael Bungy Stanier – This book changed the way I listen.
- “Living with a Seal” by Jesse Itzler – Hilarious story of an executive who hires a Navy Seal to live with him and train him.
- “Sabbath as Resistance” by Walter Brueggemann – An older book, but still relevant in an “always on” world.